BusinessFamily & EducationGreen Space & The RiverNeighborhood NewsPublic Interest

1% sales tax increase on this year’s ballot

The language you’ll see on your ballot this fall for the sales tax amendment.

In addition to their next City Councilmember and School Board members, residents of St. Paul will also be asked to vote in the upcoming election on whether to approve an 1% increase to sales tax in the city.  Elected officials proposed the increase, which they say will raise nearly $1 billion over the next 20 years, to pay for street repair and parks improvement, with about 75% of the funding going to streets and the other 25% to parks. 

City leaders claim the sales tax increase is a necessary step to pay for our infrastructure. According to the Department of Public Works, most roads have a 60 year lifecycle and St. Paul’s streets are only planned to be replaced every 124 years. Opponents largely point to the fact that, if the amendment is passed, St. Paul will have one of the highest sales tax rates in the state.

Ward 2 and 3 candidates were almost evenly split on the issue, with Peter Butler, Bill Hosko, Troy Barksdale and Patty Hartmann opposed while Rebecca Noecker, Sarua Jost and Issac Russell support the measure. 

The City will be hosting a series of information sessions in late September and early October on the proposed amendment.

Upcoming Public Meetings

  • Monday, September 25, 5:30-7 p.m., Hancock Recreation Center, 1610 Hubbard Avenue 
  • Wednesday, September 27, 5:30-7 p.m., West Minnehaha Recreation Center, 685 West Minnehaha Avenue 
  • Monday, October 2, 5:30-7 p.m., El Rio Vista Recreation Center, 179 Robie Street East 
  • Tuesday, October 3, 5:30-7 p.m., Battle Creek Recreation Center, 75 Winthrop Street South 
  • Wednesday, October 4, 5:30-7 p.m., North Dale Recreation Center, 1414 St Albans Street North 
  • Monday, October 9, 5:30-7 p.m., Hayden Heights Recreation Center, 1965 Hoyt Avenue East 
  • Wednesday, October 11, 5:30-7 p.m., Highland Park Community Center, 1978 Ford Parkway 

To learn more and see the full language of the ballot question, visit

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *